Keep the North Shore Sane

This blog will be about the North Shore of Oahu. The focus will be on the politics, economics and lifestyle of the North Shore. The North Shore is such a small place, people are often intimidated and do not speak their mind. Here you can speak your mind. I accept guest posts either by name or anonymously as long as they are not obscene. Let's argue, let's be opinionated and let's really dig down into the issues that affect our lives here on the North Shore of Oahu.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Grafitti On The Rocks At Waimea Bay And Homeless Campers

Two really disturbing things I saw and heard on the North Shore this week.

"NSB" taggers have defaced the jumping rock at Waimea. I really do not have strong enough words for these stupid idiots. Someone knows someone who did this. It is bad enough that the rocks at the beach get hit but to spray paint the rocks that are in the water? Jeez.

Also, in a little known twist of events, the police no longer have the power to stop people from camping on the North Shore beaches. Nice for the occasional family outing, but this covers the increasingly visible homeless and bums. Only vague information but I heard there is some type of moratorium because of the closing of parks and the chasing of the homeless away from some of their favorite haunts.

So, I guess this means that if the homeless want to set up on Sunset Beach or Waimea they can and the police will not have them move along. Perhaps they can get together with the taggers, paint the rocks their own favorite colors, put up curtains and have that be home.

2 Comments:

  • At 7/16/2008 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I recently went to a beach party bbq pot luck . There were about 10 homeless people (they live in front of the fire station, and in their cars in front of the bathrooms) hanging out, swearing and drinking next to us. I have seen these same people drinking beer at 6:30 in the morning.
    They barged into our party asking for plates of food. One guy was in his twenties, and came up "Auntie, can I have a plate?"
    At the same party, where there were many young children, I was alerted that there was a convicted child molester at the beach. That I should keep an eye on him, especially with all the kids around.
    Wow! I have to say that I did not expect to be panhandled for food, while keeping a diligent eye out for daryl the molester.
    I heard about the stay on the homeless camping too. That the police are unable to do anything.
    As a mom with young children, I am apalled by this latest moritorium!

     
  • At 8/12/2008 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I drive by there every day and yes people have literally taken up residence there. Hmm... maybe that is my answer to the every growing rents and the rich playing monopoly with the rental houses and displacing my family a couple of times a year (buying/selling - increasing rents just cause they can)... if we can just live on the beach and nobody will bother us... They wont let anyone sleep on out leeward anymore, now they are all over here with no reason to leave.... I went kayaking at Haleiwa beach park Sunday morning and it was so nice to watch everyone climbing out of their cars/trucks/vans after their rent free nights sleep... maybe if we all had a camp out protest and increased the numbers by thousands it might get someones attention to do someting positive for affordable hosusing on north shore... $2000.00 a month for a two bedroom shack is becoming standard, sleeping in my van is looking more and more inviting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home